We are heading to El Calafate. We’ve heard about a brand new experience and we had to do it. A product combining a tour in a Four Wheel Drive Car, a photo safari and the opportunity to enjoy the most relaxing time in an authentic Patagonian Estancia. So let us tell you about this fantastic Patagonian Estancia & Safari Experience El Calafate.
We had breakfast and sit waiting in the lobby enjoying the views of the Argentinian Lake. Those who had the chance to stay in El Calafate for a few days will agree with us that the colour of the water is awesome. We were picked up at 9:00 am. If you want to do the tour during the afternoon there is an option at 4:00 pm.
It was a great way to break away from the glaciers and do something a little different in Calafate. We enjoyed the great views and 4×4 experience while exploring this beautiful estancia. It was great to see some wild animals, birds and local plants and learn more about their history and origin.
The tour has five stops. The first one at an antique stone post where the first family of the Estancia, the Villalbas used to live. A brief explanation about the Patagonian Estancias, the first inhabitants, the first days of El Calafate and the 25 de Mayo Estancia managed by the Villalba Family and the acquisition by the new owners the Aristizabal family.
We continue our tour til we reach La Sección (The Section), an authentic Estancia Post settled in the patagonian inmensity. Here we have the second stop where we can watch the fauna at the 25 de Mayo hill. Here we took our cameras and the binoculars and telescopes provided by the tour guides and started taking photos and watching the landscapes and fauna of this amazing site.
The third stop takes place to watch the fauna. After leaving the vehicle our group gets together to get closer to the herds of Guanacos (a South American specie of the camel). Back into our vehicles and after a four kilometers drive we reach our fourth stop to access the fossilized oysters site. Here we can admire the amazing wall. The travelers will be able to understand about the geology, paleontology and history of this place, which once was covered by the sea.
Heading south we reach the Chilean border to get to the Centinela viewpoint, a hill at 1500 m.o.s.l. where we have magnificent views of the unending basalt walls of the Centinela Mount and the Baguales (mounts that mark the limit between Argentina and Chile in the south) here we do our fifth stop and enjoy the views.
After a few hours we arrived at the house and enjoyed a great typical gaucho meal with some good wines. It was excellent and being able to enjoy that meal and watch the beautiful landscape through the windows is one of the most highlights of this tour. Our guide was warm and friendly and provided great service. He really wanted to make sure we had a good experience… and we did.
For those curious about the history, the land and the people that settled it…and who want to see another side of the overwhelming beauty of Patagonia, We would highly recommend this activity. experience in the countryside we suggest you a visit to Nibepo Aike
Minimun pax requirements: 1
- Entry fee for the Estancia 25 de Mayo Natural Reserve.
- Safari in 4×4 vehicle with a Spanish/English bilingual guide.
- Passengers’ pick-up and drop-off at El Calafate hotels.
- Lunch or dinner with beverage (water & wine).
- Available during the safari: binoculars, telescope, tripod, guide of birds. Comments:
- Regular departures guaranteed with no requirements of a minimum number of passengers.
- Maximum: 12 passengers in regular departures.
- Transfers in Land Rover (6 passengers per vehicle).
- Fares subject to changes. In case of change, the fares of the reservations already confirmed will be kept.
- Clothing and accessories: comfortable clothing is recommended for walking as well as warm clothing suitable for the Patagonian varied climate; trekking shoes or shoes with appropriate soles, comfortable trousers, several layers of warm clothes (shirt, polar, warm jacket), hat or cap, sun protection, sunglasses.
- Other accessories: If you take photos, consider taking charged batteries and/or a battery replacement and enough memory devices, as there will be no opportunity to recharge batteries. If you have binoculars, it is worth bringing them.
- Toilets available at “La Sección” site.
- Total circuit: 40 km (26 miles). Duration: 5 h. to 5:30 h.
MENU LUNCH AT THE ESTANCIA SITE
- Home made breads
- Sweets and Cheese
- Argentine Wines
- Soft Drinks